For too many years, the subject of mental health was kind of taboo, swept under the carpet and never openly discussed for fear of ridicule, yet today, there is a general awareness of the topic and there are many resources online to help those who are feeling the pressure of modern society. We should all be striving towards improvement in every aspect of our lives and with that in mind, here are a few ways that you can improve your mental health.
- Take up a hobby – All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and if you have a weekly slot when you indulge in your passion, whatever that might be, you have a brighter outlook and are able to weather the tough times. It might be a sport or perhaps you used to cycle and would like to get back in the saddle, in which case you should invest in a mountain bike and enjoy the local scenery. This will have a positive impact on your physical and mental well-being, while bringing you many hours of enjoyment.
- Oral hygiene – If you see your local dentist in Narre Warren twice a year and you follow a good oral hygiene routine, you shouldn’t have any dental issues and this goes a long way towards leading an enjoyable life. If you drink alcohol, keep an eye on the number of alcohol units you consume in a typical week, making sure to stay within recommended guidelines and with everything in moderation, you shouldn’t need to see your dentist, aside from twice yearly check-ups, that is.
- Balanced diet – You are what you eat, as the saying goes and with a balanced diet, your body will receive all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients it needs to promote good physical health, which in turn, aids mental well—being. Fresh fruit and veg should have a place in your weekly food consumption and if there are no farms near you, find an organic farm online and have them deliver to your door.
- Boost your self-esteem – How you feel about yourself is critical to your well-being and we all get a bit depressed when things don’t go as planned; this is when you should sit down and write down 5 things that you have achieved in your life and the act of doing so is uplifting. Remind yourself of when you single-handedly saved the day at the office and that time when you helped a neighbour get into their own house. Here are a few tips to give you the motivation to exercise daily.
- Annual check-up – For a couple of hundred dollars, you can have a complete health check at a local hospital and when you get the thumbs-up, this will put your mind at ease. If there are any issues, early diagnosis makes treatment more effective, plus you may have some questions about leading a healthy lifestyle that the doctor can address.
We cannot overstate the importance of mental well-being and if you are stressed about anything, it is always best to talk to a family member or a good friend who you trust.