We all have to face difficult decisions in life and we can spend time agonising over which way to go. Should I do it this way or should I do that instead? Without ever knowing the exact outcome, we sometimes have to take a leap of faith, stop procrastinating and just dive in. Here’s why it’s important to take action instead of wallowing and prevaricating…
1) If you don’t try you will always wonder “what if”. Research shows that we find it easier to deal with taking action and then failing as opposed to never trying and wondering whatmight’ve happened. If you have the right attitude to failure, you will realise that failure doesn’t mean YOU are a failure, it just means that whatever you tried didn’t work out. It’s a learning curve – one option that didn’t work still leads you closer to your goal as life is a constant process of trial and error.
2) When you look back on your life, you will look at what you did with your life. You won’t remember exactly what you were thinking. If you live your whole life living in your head you will have very little to show for your time on earth at the end.See life as an adventure. The more you explore, the more you grow.
3) If you are waiting for the perfect moment or timing, think again – it will most likely never come. By all means, do a risk assessment and investigate possibilities. Knowledge is power and I am all for that but don’t spend endless hours trying to find the perfect solution or set up – it doesn’t exist. Life isn’t perfect and neither are you. Learn to test your resilience by getting stuck in instead of being a passive observer. Before you know it, life will have passed you by and you will have stagnated and will have achieved nothing.
4) Whilst there are no guarantees in life, your instincts and gut feel are usually leading you in the right direction. You have more inner wisdom that you probably realise. If something doesn’t feel right, make changes. Never hold back out of fear. If fear controls your decision making you will end up feeling powerless and without options. Acting on a decision is always scary but pat yourself on the back for doing it because you are then one of the ‘active players’ in life – one of those that refuses to ‘settle’ or accept less than they deserve.
5) When you are brave, the universe rewards you. maybe not immediately but fortune favours the brave. The more you ‘actively live’ instead of just chugging along, the more alive you will feel, the more people you will meet and the more opportunities will come your way.
It’s a no-brainer. Seize opportunities, push fear to the side and stop taking life so seriously. Throw caution to the wind and live a little…you’ll be amazed where it will lead you.
Photo by symphony of love