We’ve all been there…heartbroken and in despair. It is one of the worst places to be. We trusted and let someone in and they have disappointed us or let us down in some way. Getting over your ex is rarely easy.
Rejection is a hard thing to take and it leaves us all a little more scarred and with a little more ‘baggage’.
Here are some tips on how to move on:
1) Remember that change is inevitable and that it will get better. It’s the old cliche but it is something you can count on to happen. You may not get back together with your ex but time will help you to heal. That is without question.
2) Make a list of all the things you didn’t like about your ex. Did they have any annoying habits? Make your thinking work for you and write a list full of the awful things..this will help you to move on psychologically.
3) Keep reminding yourself that now you are free to find someone that is more compatible with your character. Too often we try to make a relationship work that was not meant to be and that in all likelihood would have caused us more misery further down the line. Be happy that you are out of it and free to find someone who will return your love.
4) Focus on YOU – go to the gym, join a class, do something new..use these dark days to find your strengths, and to show yourself that you are strong and can get through this. Don’t let your ex ‘win’ by being sad for too long. Onwards and upwards
5) If you really are struggling it may be worth chatting to a counsellor to get through the issues of why you are unable to move on. A therapist can help to put the rejection in perspective and help you to return to a more solid grounding…one where you like yourself again and feel able to reconnect with the world.