Goal setting – 9 questions to ask yourself
1) If you knew you couldn’t fail, what would your life look like? What are you doing? Where are you? Close your eyes and visualise where you want to be. You have to name it before you can claim it. Write down your vision.
2) What will you need to know to reach your new life? Will you require any learning, new skills? How can you go about obtaining these skills/knowledge?
3) Is there an area in your ‘current life’ that is dragging you down or holding you back? Debt, education, a relationship, depression, your past?
Is there a way to deal with this? Do you procrastinate? Are you in denial? Be totally honest with yourself.
4) What is the first, easy small step you can take today to address something you identified in the last answer? When will you take that step?
5) What obstacles might pop up along the way? Can you anticipate all of them? Can you determine solutions for each problem you might encounter?
6) How will you know you’re on the right path? What will the first milestone be where you can say “I’m getting there! I’m on my way”. When will that be?
7) What will you do for yourself when you reach that milestone? How will you reward yourself?
8) After that first milestone, what will your next step be? And the next?…
9) Picture yourself saying about your life’s goal, “I did it!”. When will that be? What is the exact, realistic date?
Make all goals SMART:
S = specific
M = measurable
A = achievable
R = realistic
T = time bound
Goal setting is an essential part of purpose in life. We all need purpose to feel our life has meaning.
Photo by symphony of love