Ground rules for healthy relationships
- I will face my emptiness – I don’t expect you to fill my gaps and be everything to me.
- I will trust (and tell you when I don’t).
- I will be there – you can count on me to be reliable.
- I will tell you if I am leaving the house/coming home…I will try not to be mentally absent from the relationship.
- I will attempt to communicate my thoughts and feelings as far as I am able to and will do my best to express myself with sensitivity.
- I will be vulnerable with you as often as I can. This fosters intimacy and trust.
- Sometimes we will agree to disagree and accept that this is okay for both of us.
Finally, I will do my best to take responsibility for my actions, to apologise when I am in the wrong and to work for the good of the relationship rather than to play unhealthy games when I don’t feel like communicating.
I will be receptive to giving and receiving.
The above are great guidelines for a happy, healthy and rewarding relationship.