As John Lennon famously said “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”. We get so busy crossing off items on our to do list and racing against the clock that we often forget to really savour the moment and enjoy life in the present. Get yourself a cuppa, relax and take note of the following list of things we could all be doing to get the most out of ourselves and out of life:
1) Face your fears. Ask yourself what you would do if you knew you couldn’t fail. Don’t be afraid..get stuck in. See life as an adventure. Work towards your goals every day
2) Talk to yourself as you would a good friend. We berate ourselves far too much. It’s okay to cut yourself some slack and stop being so hard on yourself
3) Take time out to play and be silly. Play with children or pets just make sure you take time to have fun
4)Try something new often. Novelty is the spice of life and teaches you about yourself.
5) Decide to be happy. Yes – you can make a conscious choice to see the positives in life. Life smacks us all on the arse but you don’t have to sulk..you can choose to have power over your state of mind
6) Cultivate patience – things take time in life. As long as you are on the right track and doing a little every day towards your goal, you’re doing fine.
7) Self belief – have faith that things are working out as they should. Keep self doubt to a minimum by reminding yourself that is serves no purpose. Action what needs doing and then ‘shelve’ the rest including self doubt
8) Take life one day at a time. Live in the present moment. Suck every last bit out of each and every experience. What do you see, smell, hear, taste, touch? Engage your senses – feel alive and the worries disappear
9) Accept what you can and cannot change. Work on the bits you can influence and ‘shelve’ the rest – put it to the back of your mind if there is nothing further you can do at this point in time
10)Remind yourself of the good in your life right now. Gratitude is very powerful and alters a negative mindset.
11)Wear your heart on your sleeve more often. Make yourself vulnerable..risk a little.
12)Don’t wait – do it now. What are you waiting for? Why wait for someone else to do what you can do right now? Stay optimistic about future outcomes
13) Remind yourself that you are loved. Someone, somewhere thinks you are wonderful and couldn’t be without you.
14) Be kind to others. It costs nothing and is such a rewarding feeling – it gives us purpose and makes the planet a better place for us all. Pay it forward.
15) See the funny side..will this matter a year from now. Will what you are going through seem funny and perhaps make a funny story someday? Things are rarely as bad as they seem. Lighten up. The only irreversible things are death and taxes, so they say…
16) Dance to your own beat. Care less what others think and free yourself from the pressure of the collective ‘other’. Who cares ?You certainly shouldn’t. As long as you’re living within good wholesome values – get on with it.Exercise freedom of expression, it’s a wonderful feeling!
We owe it to ourselves to make the most of our lives, throw off the shackles of oppression and start caring a little more about the quality of our lives.Love your nearest and dearest and make time for fun. Life is only as serious as you make it.