In Anthony Robbinâ€™s book – Unlimited Power, heÂ describes the case of a psychiatric patient with a split personality. One of her personalities was diabetic, while another was not. Her blood sugars would be normal when she was in her non-diabetic personality, but then when she shifted into her diabetic alter ego, her blood sugars rose, and all medical evidence demonstrated that she was diabetic. When her personality flipped back to the non-diabetic counterpart, her blood sugars normalized. Her belief had become her reality.
Getting ahead in life begins with the acknowledgement that we can choose our beliefs.You can choose beliefs that limit you or choose beliefs that support you – it’s a no brainer yet many of us don’t help ourselves and sabotage ourselves on a regular basis.
The power of the placebo is another great example of the power of the mind. When we believe in something, the body actually creates chemical changes according to our thoughts. When we have positive expectations (such as when we take a placebo), this changes the chemicals in the brain – there is an actual change in physiology.
Our belief systems determine how successful we will be in tapping into our full potential. Self belief can be achieved by nurturing the right supportive thoughts and beliefs and ignoring negative thinking. It takes practise but it is possible to foster positive beliefs that work for you.
In order to foster positive beliefs, try the following:
1) Focus on your strengths. What are you good at? Write the down and remind yourself regularly.
2) Teach yourself – read good books with positivity. Educate yourself. Knowledge is power.
3) Remind yourself regularly of past achievements that you are proud of. Give yourself credit for things you have done well.
4) Visualise positive outcomes. Increase your expectations for the future. Think big.
5) Surround yourself with positive people that inspire you as much as possible. Positive energy is contagious. Limit time with negative pessimistic people.
6) “Act as if” – imagine that you are already where you would like to be. What would you say? How would you act? Regularly immerse yourself in possibilities.
Of course, it goes without saying that just thinking positively isn’t going to make every dream come true but you will certainly be in a more favourable position than if you engage in negative pessimistic thinking. Positive beliefs inspire hope and resilience and that can be all you need to get ahead.