Is there such a thing? I doubt it. All the literature I have read has suggested that we have at least seven or more possible great matches. I think this is good news as it would be much harder to find our true soul mate if there was only one. What if he/she was on the other side of the world?
I guess it is also down to your belief system. The more open you are about love possibilities the easier it will be for you to find love. We can create beliefs that limit us or we can open up to the possibilities before us.
When I think about partners I have had in my life, there has not been a perfect person for me. There have been men I have been much more compatible with but never a perfect man. That is because perfect people do not exist. No one will be able to be everything to another person, this is impossible.
My idea of a soul mate is someone who brings out the best in me and loves me for who I am. That’s a very good start anyhow!
The main things we need for a happy relationship are:
- Shared values – how you will share life, manage finances, bring up children…
- Shared commitment – do you both want a long term relationship or is one of you happy to keep it casual?
- Mental/intellectual compatibility
- Physical/sexual compatibility
- Emotional compatibility – can you talk to each other, understand each other and comfort each other easily?
When you have the five points above, you are in a very good place to enjoy a happy, fulfilling relationship