There are various different factors that may cause you to experience anxiety in your daily life. However, did you know that 41% of adults globally view climate change as a ‘very serious threat’, and as such, a cause of concern in their daily lives? This is due to the fact that climate change will have an impact on mental health across the world. As a result, if you find yourself worrying about the environment or your impact on the planet, you are not alone.
While the responsibility to take care of the planet should not fall on the individual alone, there are certain steps you can take that will make a real difference. With that in mind, here are some top tips that you can use to adapt to a more eco-friendly lifestyle.
- If you are planning your first post-pandemic adventure abroad, look into eco-friendly travel options. For example, is it possible to drive to your location as opposed to travelling? Alternatively, you could travel to a green or eco-friendly location.
- Make a real effort to make your shopping habits as sustainable as possible. While fast fashion sites are certainly appealing because you can have the hottest trends delivered to your door, they are also having a deeply negative impact on the environment – due to the way in which they are manufactured and shipped. As opposed to using fast fashion sites, look into sustainable brands or shop at second-hand stores.
- If you want to take care of the planet, and cut down on your monthly bills, consider switching to a renewable energy source – such as solar power. Thanks to initiatives such as community solar, you can now enjoy the various benefits of sustainable energy without having to install a solar panel on your roof or home.
- Cut down your carbon footprint by reducing the amount of time you spend behind the wheel. For example, instead of driving to work alone, consider carpooling with a colleague who lives nearby. If possible, you could also walk to work. Walking to work is a great way to get active, and the fresh air can help you feel more alert and focused when you arrive at your office.
- Cutting down on the amount of meat you consume is another great way to start taking better care of the planet, as it will lower your carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions. While this does not mean that you have to become a vegetarian, switching to meat-free alternatives now and then can make a real difference.
- Where possible, say no to single-use plastics – as they are a key contributor to overcrowded landfill sites. Thankfully, there are various ways in which you can combat this issue. For example, if you regularly pick up a coffee on your way to work, you can do your part by purchasing a reusable coffee cup. Even better, many companies offer discounts to those who bring in a reusable cup – so this effort could even save you money in the long run.